6. Women's Rights/End Big Money:
If we lose one more liberal Supreme Court Justice, women’s reproductive rights will be imperiled as Roe v. Wade may be overturned. The recent Hobby Lobby case stripped women of their right to have birth control covered by their health insurance if their employer deems it against their religion. The Citizens United case (2010) deemed campaign contributions to be protected speech. This is one of the many reasons the 2018 and 2020 elections are so important. Democrats must win majorities in Congress and convene Constitutional Conventions to draft amendments that grant the following basic civil rights to all citizens:
1. Women have the right to choose to abort their pregnancy through the second trimester and to access a safe procedure at a health facility in their state.
2. Women have the right to health insurance that covers birth control. No one can deny that right by refusing to provide such coverage for their employees.
3. Every citizen is entitled to equal protection of the law. This means that no one can be discriminated against on the basis of their race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual preference, or gender identity.
4. Every citizen has a right to know who or what groups gave money to candidates or their political parties. There should be total transparency in election finance and no dark money donations.
5. Every citizen should be ensured that elections are not bought or unfairly influenced by donations from the rich and powerful. There should be tough limits to the amount of money corporations, labor unions, political action committees and candidates themselves can donate to campaigns.
BACK TO PRIORITIES